There is a multiple choice assessment within the course. To assist you, we have a free copy of the Victorian Recreational Boating Safety Handbook available for download below.
Re-sitting The Test / Reassessment Policy
Where an applicant is not successful in attaining the required number of correct questions they may be given the option to attempt a different version of the test. This may be attempted immediately following the first attempt.
Where an applicant is not successful on the second attempt, they may not attempt the test again on the same day. We will give an invitation to the student to return at a later date. This would be without paying the course fees again, a small retest fee may be applicable.
Refund, Cancellation and Rescheduling Policy
At the time of booking a course all sales are finalised, course fees are taken and processed immediately.
In the event that you cannot attend and cancel your course, refunds are not available.
From time to time we may have to reschedule a course, but in the event that a course is totally cancelled by us you have the option of transferring to another course, or to a full refund.
In the event an applicant declares that a credit card transaction is unauthorised Sailingworld will confirm and when appropriate issue full refund.
For up-to-date course pricing, please see the product listings.
In certain circumstances, your order may be rejected, such as where the requested product is not available or if there is an error in the price or the product description posted on our website.
Evidence Of Identity (EOI)
When applying for the Training and Assessment at a MSV approved licence issuing provider, certification of satisfactory completion of the approved training, as issued by the Accredited Training Provider must be presented together with Evidence of Identity (EOI).
The EOI required is defined as a photo licence OR multiple evidence of identity.
A photo licence means any Australian photo driver licence or photo learner permit which is current or expired by no more than 2 years.
Multiple Evidence of Identity
For transactions where multiple EOI is required it is necessary to provide:
- a primary evidence document (high quality evidence of who the applicant is),
- a secondary evidence document (to confirm the current use of the applicant’s name in the community),
- evidence of change of name (where it differs between primary and secondary evidence documents).
Primary and secondary evidence documents must be separate documents.
All documents must be originals as supplied by the issuing authority (or copies certified by the issuing authority, a Justice of the Peace or a solicitor).
AT least one document must evidence the address. If it does not then a referee statement must be filled out. The address does not have to be in Victoria or Australia.
Primary Evidence Documents
One of these documents:
- Australian passport,
- An overseas passport,
- Australian birth certificate or change of name certificate issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Birth extracts and Commemorative birth certificates are not accepted,
- change of name certificate issued by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages,
- a document of identity issued by the Passport Office (usually issued to travellers to Norfolk Island),
- document of identity issued by the Australian Passport Office,
- Australian police force officer or Australian Defence Force photo identity card (excluding civilian staff),
- consular photo identity card issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade,
- Australian naturalisation or citizenship document issued by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (read note 1),
- immigration papers (eg. visa) issued by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (read note 2),
- NSW Photo Card (issued by NSW RTA after 14 December 2005).
One of these documents that is current or expired by no more than two years:
- Australian defence force photo licence, or
- Victorian firearm photo licence.
Secondary evidence documents
In addition to one of the above primary evidence documents the applicant must provide one secondary evidence document from the list below:
- Medicare card,
- Pensioner Concession card,
- Department of Veteran’s Affairs card,
- current entitlement card issued by the Commonwealth,
- student identity card,
- credit card or account card from a bank, building society or credit union,
- state or federal government employee photo ID card.
One of these documents that is current or no more than one year old:
- passbook or bank account statement,
- telephone, gas or electricity bill.
One of these documents that is current or no more than two years old:
- electoral enrolment card,
- armed services discharge papers,
- current Proof of Age card issued by Consumer Affairs Victoria,
- current Victorian Driving Authority photo identity card.
If you don’t have acceptable EOI at the commencement of the course, you will not be able to complete the course. You will need to re-attend another course at a later date.
Click or tap the picture to download a free, complete .PDF copy of the Victorian Recreational Boating Safety Handbook
Compliments & Complaints Policy
You can register your feedback by contacting Boating Licence Course in writing at PO Box 2903, Taren Point NSW 2229 or via email at using the contact form here
You have not been charged any G.S.T. There is no G.S.T within our fee
Pursuant to regulation 30 of the Marine Safety Regulations 2012 (Vic) the following persons are not eligible to apply for a marine licence:
- A person who is disqualified from obtaining a marine licence, during the period of that disqualification
- A person who is the holder of a marine licence that has been suspended, during the period of that suspension
- A person who is disqualified from obtaining a licence or other authority to be the master of or to operate a recreational vessel under
- (i) the law of another State or Territory, or
- (ii) the law of another country,
in circumstances which, if they occurred in Victoria, would have resulted in the person being disqualified from obtaining a marine licence in Victoria
- A person who is the holder of a licence or other authority to operate a recreational vessel issued by another State or Territory that has been suspended, during the period of that suspension
- Persons aged under 16 years of age are not eligible to obtain a personal watercraft endorsement
Applicants should also note that they will be required to meet the health requirements for operating a car, motorcycle or boat and this may include further testing where appropriate.
Language & Literacy Skills
Our strategy includes a plan to offer training to students whose first language is not English and thus require assistance with material delivered in English. The rules and requirements are as follows:
- Trainers can allow students to be assisted in their learning by friends or family members, but steps should be taken to ensure that this does not disrupt other students. This may mean having a dedicated course for students and their helpers and this can be arranged via the office.
- For the assessment, students can only be assisted by a professional interpreter to avoid the risk of cheating. Interpreters must establish their qualifications by presenting a document that shows their professional status such as a certificate of business incorporation or evidence of accreditation by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).
The course is delivered by Sailingworld pty ltd; registered as RTO # 91229 who is trading as Boating Licence Course. This course is based upon the national syllabus of boating education designed to prevent boating incidents and save lives. We are a Registered Training Organisation (RTO). The package you have purchased & are now being supplied consists of the following units:
- Unit MEM50008 – Carry out trip preparation and planning
- Unit MEM50009 -Safely operate a mechanically powered recreational boat
- Unit MEM50010 – Respond to boating emergencies and incidents
- Select and maintain a personal water craft (if doing PWC)
- Demonstrate simple personal water craft skills in controlled conditions (if doing PWC)
This is a great package as you are being supplied and trained in the units above. There are different pathways included within the package.